BINGO happens the first Saturday of EVERY month of the year at the Vesper community center.
The Community Center offers a community bingo the first Saturday of each month. Doors and Concessions open at 5:30pm and at 7:00pm, twenty games of bingo are played including a jackpot blackout round. A 20 game booklet can be purchased for $6 which has 3 game boards for each of the 20 games played, and you can purchase larger books if you wish to play more than 3 boards per game. $9 purchases 6 boards per game and $12 purchases 9 boards per game. Cash prizes are given out for each game and raffles are sometimes offered too.
Bingo is run by volunteers and more volunteers are needed !
BINGO HOUSE RULES
1) No bingo cards will be sold before 5:30pm the day of bingo
2) Daubers will be sold at the concession stand or bingo card stand.
3) Any age is eligible to play bingo
4) Bingo pay outs will be set according to the attendance of that session before bingo begins. Jackpot (Blackout) pay out for the session will be announced before bingo begins and anyone wishing to return their purchased cards and get a refund can do so before the FIRST number is called for the first game as long as the cards are still intact and no marks have been made on them.
5) Bingo winners who have a bingo matching the current game pattern may call Bingo at anytime up to the time the caller has announced the number of winners and reset the game board for that game. Winners do not need to have the last number called in their bingo pattern. “Sleepers” are allowed to win.
6) All bingos must be paid out at the end of each game. We can not go back and pay on a previous game.
7) If there is more than one winner in a game, the prize will be divided equally and/or rounded up to the nearest dollar.
8) No alcoholic beverages or smoking is allowed in the premises.
9) No outside food or beverages can be brought into the building, except water and/or ice.
10) In the case of emergency such as fire, tornado warning, electrical outage etc. bingo will end for that session.
This is being posted in accordance with publication KS-1640 Rev 8-19.
Updated as of 2/6/2021
Volunteers are NEEDED
Please sign up if interested and you will be contacted with more information.
Volunteering is fun. The first time you volunteer for a new position plan to spend most of the time just observing and watching another volunteer. Questions are welcome. Watching is often the best way to learn the requirements of a position and they are not hard to perform and you can choose the position you want to do, but it is especially helpful when a volunteer can stand in for another if someone can’t make it so volunteers are encouraged to learn and try as many positions as they can.
Bingo Card Cashiers: Bingo card cashiers setup the game book inventory and paperwork at 5:00pm on Saturday and sell the books to players who begin arriving at 5:30pm thru 7:00pm. Cashiers and those volunteering at the table may not play bingo during the night (State Charitable gaming regulations Pub KS-1640(Rev. 8-19)) Volunteers are not paid for their work must be 18 years or older, and not convicted of a felony or illegal gambling violations. 2 volunteers are needed to run the table, in case one person can’t make it. Usually one volunteer comes at 5:00pm and the other no later than 6:00pm (when it usually gets busy)
Bingo referees: BINGO walk over to a player when they call bingo and read their numbers aloud to verify their board. After all the winners are announced, they hand them their prizes. 1 or 2 refs are often needed for 6:45pm to 8:30pm and 1 or 2 refs 8:30pm to 10:00pm. It’s pretty much a sitting task except when you get up to check a winning board, so you are free to use your phone or read while people are playing. The only State restriction is referees must be 18 years or older and never convicted of a felony or for illegal gambling activity. You don’t have to be a player to volunteer but if you like to play bingo, consider volunteering too. The State prohibits a referee from playing the same game they are working but someone for example who wants to ref for half the session, stay and buy boards and play for the other half. You could also sit out just a few games and volunteer for those and play the rest. Volunteers have been keeping Bingo going in Vesper for more than 50 years. If you play Bingo, consider volunteering for some of the games to keep this tradition going.
Concession Volunteers: Bingo often involves preparing and serving food for anywhere from 75 to 150 people who buy food and beverages from 5:30pm to 7:00pm and then during intermission from around 8:15-8:30pm (it varies). A line often forms and being able to perform fast and friendly is a necessity. This is a great gig for high school students (looking for community service credits) and community members. Consider volunteering for one or a few of the following positions and often due to the variability in staffing, you may be needed to do more than one of the following if you are able.
Counter volunteer: – taking orders and being the cashier
Server: getting and giving out the food and drinks, sometimes carrying a tray of food to someone’s table
Burger prep volunteer: (5:00pm to 7:00pm): Assembling, wrapping burgers (often 150-250 burgers are made in the span of an hour or two)
Food Prep volunteer:, (7:00pm-8:30pm) making sundaes and floats and/or nacho plates slicing up pie and making popcorn.
Setup and Cleanup volunteers: (4:30pm-5:30pm and 8:30pm to 9:30pm) The stand has to be setup prior to the doors opening, involves wiping down counters, setting up coffee and tea service, getting cheese/nacho meat heated, pies baked, sliced up and after intermission is over, wrapping/putting away food. helping clean up the concession stand, wiping down counters, helping with cleaning dishes/trays, sweeping floor, helping take out trash.